Blog Archive

Thursday, August 1, 2024

[info] what dose it mean when asterisk (*) appear in python function signature?

In Python, an asterisk (*) in a function signature can have several meanings depending on its context. Here are the main uses:

  1. Variable Positional Arguments (*args): When a single asterisk precedes a parameter, it collects all additional positional arguments passed to the function into a tuple.


    def my_function(*args): print(args) my_function(1, 2, 3) # Output: (1, 2, 3)
  2. Keyword-Only Arguments: When an asterisk is placed in the function signature without a variable name, it indicates that all subsequent parameters must be specified as keyword arguments.


    def my_function(a, b, *, c): print(a, b, c) my_function(1, 2, c=3) # Valid my_function(1, 2, 3) # Invalid: TypeError
  3. Variable Keyword Arguments (**kwargs): When a double asterisk precedes a parameter, it collects all additional keyword arguments passed to the function into a dictionary.


    def my_function(**kwargs): print(kwargs) my_function(a=1, b=2) # Output: {'a': 1, 'b': 2}
  4. Unpacking Arguments: An asterisk can also be used in the function call to unpack a list or tuple into positional arguments, or a dictionary into keyword arguments.

    def my_function(a, b, c):
    print(a, b, c) args = (1, 2, 3) my_function(*args) # Output: 1 2 3 kwargs = {'a': 1, 'b': 2, 'c': 3} my_function(**kwargs) # Output: 1 2 3

Each of these uses helps make functions more flexible and allows for more dynamic handling of arguments.

No comments:

Post a Comment